Friday, January 18, 2013

If the Dinosaurs Came Back

2nd graders made me jealous today!
We had some fun with our imaginations in these Line drawings inspired by the book,
"If the Dinosaurs Came Back" by Gerard Most. This book was read to me by my Mom when I was a kid and to this day, I am still fascinated by dinosaurs. Who isn't!



While reading the story, we kept our eyes peeled for examples of the vocabulary words of the day: outlines, textures, overlapping, and weight of line.

We started by drawing the outline of a dinosaur of choice from an illustration of dinosaur shapes provided on the last page of this book. We added descriptive line textures to our prehistoric friends, then colored them in with markers.
Students then imagined their world if the Dinos were back here with us, and used thin Sharpie pens to illustrate their visions. I reminded them to be mindful about overlapping, and to use lines that would "describe" the mood and energy of their illustration.

I am so pleased with these! Click to enlarge.