Thursday, November 1, 2012

Arcimboldo Self-Portraits

I have been wanting to do a lesson using Giuseppe Archimboldo's fantastic, odd, modge-podge, surreal portraits forever! I think this artist is fantastic for kids to experiment with in the art room.



These self-portraits are going to be hung in the Mountain View City Hall show in February 2013. The theme is, "Re-Thinking Green", and it took me a long time to decide what I should do for this show, as it also features my own work as an artist and instructor. The "Green Movement" was in the 70s, and to "Re-Think" it, might be to re-introduce the important environmentally conscious issues of today to the younger generations. I thought since the teachers at Monta Loma Elementary have garden beds, I could tie that aspect in by talking about how it is good for your body to eat un-processed, green foods and also, that growing your own edibles (organic farming) is a great way to be environmentally in-tuned. It was...interesting but not surprising, that many kids at this age are not familiar with vegetables, and what hey look like. (Obviously, kids don't usually like their greens!). I hope someday this changes. Small steps right?

My personal "niche" in this art world is naturally drawn to things from the natural realm, things from my immediate environment: Flora and fauna, the internal terrains and contours of leaves, the simplicity of homegrown vegetables, succulents, birds...I think it's important to slow down sometimes, and notice the beauty that is right in front of you. My favorite artist growing up was Georgia O'Keeffe as she captures the beauty of the natural world in the most fluid, smooth way it is hard to describe my reactions to her work...SO there's my rant...