Thursday, September 13, 2012

Piet Mondrian Collages

Another kick off for my Art CLub theme of, "Learning from the Masters" was to examine Piet Mondrian's "Broadway Boogie Woogie".



I did a whole lot of paper cutting for this project! Well worth the work though. I cut big squares, rectangles, strips, and small squares in primary colors, black and white (the color scheme Piet mostly worked with).

We briefly talked about how his artwork shows many vertical and horizontal planes, but how all of the sections of space and color create a unity as an artwork. Students started with the larger rectangles, layered those with the rectangles, then added the strips of color, then glued the mosaic sized piece on top.

Many students said their piece looked like, "a street", "a city", "legos", which is fantastic! I thought the same thing, too, when I made my sample.