Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gee's Bend Quilt Blocks

To end the 16 week program, I thought the kids would have fun making quilt blocks using postcards of the Alabama Gee's Bend Quilts as inspiration. It was also a fantastic way to use up all of the paper scraps and strips I save from cutting paper during the year!


 I didn't want the students to "copy" the quilt from the postcard, but I thought if they drew out the basic shapes they saw on their postcard, it would be a way for them to "study" the different layers, and think about what piece of fabric was sewn first, and what was layered on top of that, etc.

Students wrote the name of the quilt on the back of their tagboard, or they came up with their own names :)

I set up a line of bins at the front of the classroom, each having a different color paper in it. I also put out a box of pre-cut smaller strips and larger squares. Students grabbed what they wanted and started arranging. I observed that many of the kids wanted to do the very small details first, and I reminded them about how quilts often have many layers, big shapes on the bottom with more detailed things on the top.

The final step was to make their quilts more "personal", as the quilts of Gee's Bend were made of clothing that women and their communities wore. So I had students use a medium of choice: oil pastel or Sharpie and add line patterns, symbolism, texture, very open ended. Check 'em out!

Class #1 - Click to Enlarge




Class #2 - (Click to Enlarge)