Thursday, December 20, 2012

Archimboldo: Veggie Self-Portraits

I have been wanting to do a lesson using Giuseppe Archimboldo's fantastic, odd, modge-podge, surreal portraits forever! I think this artist is fantastic for kids to experiment with in the art room.



These self-portraits are going to be hung in the Mountain View City Hall Art Show in February 2013. The theme is, "Re-Thinking Green", and it took me a long time to decide what I should do for this show, as it also features my own work as an artist.

The "Green Movement" was in the 70s, and to "Re-Think" it, might be to not only re-introduce the importance of growing your own produce, but to ALSO to re-introduce how to make healthy choices and the benefits of doing so. The younger generations are getting robbed of these important supplemental subjects in schools, so it felt like a good project to do for these reasons.

It was...interesting but not surprising, that many kids at this age are not familiar with vegetables, and what hey look like. (Obviously, kids don't usually like their greens!). I hope someday this changes. Small steps right?

Here's some group photos, and individual works.