Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rizzi Cities!

My Art Clubs are getting s-p-o-i-l-e-d this week! We are going to look at the fantastic pop artist, James Rizzi's.

We looked at his print, "City Day, City Night". (On this website, scroll to the right until you see the title caption).

I bought some adhesive Scratch-Art 3D-O's which are great for collages, murals, cards. These will be great for this project as it will add shadow and dimension to our city scape.

Here are the examples from round one. I think if I was to do this lesson again, I would stick to a higher pigmented medium for the buildings. The watercolor didn't saturate the paintings enough in comparison to how Rizzi's 3D pieces look. I would also not use Crayola Crayons for the watercolor resist. Oil pastel! But they still look AWESOME. AND the students were absolutely thrilled about this project!! Many got very creative and didn't try to copy the handout with the Rizzi's work on it. I LOVE when my class uses their imaginations.



. Here is my sample example, although my classes will be using watercolor resist method, instead of felt tip marker.