Friday, October 12, 2012

Edward Curtis Tee Pee Landscapes

4th grade learns about Native America! My favorite subject in grade school...Our 2nd study on value, and also contour, I thought Edward Curtis would be so perfect with his gold tone sepia photographs of native people, their environment and daily lives.

 My Speical Needs class can be a bit of a challenge, so I wanted to keep them interested and excited - So I chose to use one of his prints of tee-pees, "Painted Lodge - Pieman".

We started by reviewing how to make depth in a composition - adding a horizon line. Then talked about how to change the values of brown, and changing the size of the teepees, to make their paintings appear that they go back into space.

To keep their interest up, I had them contour the teepees, gave a mini history lesson about teepees, what they are made of, why they aren't all equally adorned, nor the same size. I then allowed them to decorate them with geometrical designs, however they pleased. Now that I think about it, It would have been a good idea to show them some visual iconography and symbols that the Natives used. I put on some cool world music and they started to dance around it was hilarious! Good class.